Saturday 15 September 2012

Napola film review

The film I chose to review is a 2004 German film named Napola, directed by Dennis Gansel.
The movie has won 4 awards including Best International Film. 
I came across the film because it included one of my favourite German actors, Tom Schilling. 
At first I thought the period setting of the 40's was designed brilliantly and worked with the film well. In the start we are introduced to the character of Friedrich Weimer played by Max Riemelt, he is looking for something better in life other than his love for boxing- he is recruited by a headmaster at a nazi training school called Napola( Meaning Fuhrers Elite).
The first thing that I noticed during the film was the striking use of background music; the score- composed by Normand Corbeil, complimented every scene and emotion acted out in those scenes.

As the movie continues we are introduced to the next main character Albrecht Stein portrayed by Tom Schilling. Through the various tasks the boys have to endure, it is clear that Albrecht does not enjoy them. Though his friendship with Friedrich flourishes, he makes it clear he does not believe in the voilence committed during Friedrich's boxing matches. Now this slightly odd for a boy of his age at a specified nazi school to say that he does believe in violence or killing. Half way through the film my mood has considerably dropped and I'm feeling almost numb at the thought of what will happen as Albrecht mutters the words "I am afraid". Camera movement worked well with the snowy weather as it concealed many of the finishing scenes.

As he realises that he can longer live in a school which he described as ' the evil which i had always wanted to defeat' he lets himself drown in the ice lake, leaving Friedrich to mourn him. At this point I am bawling my eyes out, this film although subtitled was a fantastic film with such great young actors.
The plot had a strong backbone and ultimately left me questioning my life as well as many other things. As Friedrich's square-jawed hunkiness fits the role, and the remainder of the male cast bring various degrees of "Heil Hitler" to their performances. Best sequences all involve Schilling, alternately wistful and resigned as the doomed young Albrecht.

No comments:

Post a Comment